Knee osteoarthritis: treatment and prevention
Deformation and disintegration of the cartilage tissue are referred to as osteoarthritis. The disease of the knee joint is usually of a degenerative, chronic nature with simultaneous pain of varying severity. Often there is a state of complete immobility. Knee osteoarthritis of the knee affects the female half of the population more often than the male. In addition, obesity and venous diseases increase the risk of osteoarthritis dramatically. Many elderly people also have this disease.
Types of osteoarthritis of the knee
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is one of the serious diseases that immobilize a person. Knee osteoarthritis of the knee is divided into two types - primary and secondary.
Primarily arises due to a malfunction of the metabolic process in the tissue area of the joint. People of advanced age are usually affected, and the main cause is obesity, venous pain, and endocrine problems. Often times, the culprit is congenital skeletal damage, which becomes the main cause of joint disease.
The secondary disease occurs due to trauma or a serious infectious disease. It's usually one-sided and only affects one knee.
In addition, a type of femoropatellar arthrosis has occurred, which is also known as the "runner's knee". This is an extremely uncomfortable condition in which the contact between the patella and the thigh bone increases. It usually occurs when the knee joint is moving. Femoral osteoarthritis should be treated as soon as the following symptoms are noticed:
- When walking, pain occurs under the kneecap.
- Painful sensations occur when walking and climbing stairs.
Reasons for appearing
Signs of osteoarthritis of the knee joint can appear suddenly or completely as expected. Today the main causes of osteoarthritis of the knee are:
- About 30% of injuries in which the cartilage lining in the knee joint is damaged. This includes fractures and severe dislocations of the lower leg, due to which deformation occurs and the joint no longer functions properly due to the loss of its original shape.
- Approximately 7% are charged incorrectly due to age. People who did the same sport and work intensity in their fifties as they did in their twenties. Because of this, osteoarthritis of the knee joint develops quite quickly. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to create a special program with an emphasis on smooth and calm exercises.
- Overweight - from 10% of all cases. Precisely for the reason that excess weight puts a serious strain on the legs, the probability of such a disease as osteoarthritis of the knee increases many times over. Often times, obese people clear the meniscus faster than others, and if they are accompanied by varicose veins, the disease begins to progress immediately.
- About 5% are joint inflammations. Arthritis, an inflammation of the joint part, can cause gonarthrosis of the knee joint in any form.
- Of all cases, 4% is a congenital defect of the weak ligamentous apparatus. A person who can take a difficult pose from yoga or sit on a string without warming up has super flexibility, dancers often have this quality. Such a talent can become the harbinger of osteoarthritis of the knee joint.
- About 20% is a metabolic failure. If a patient is diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, it is not surprising that osteoarthritis of the knee will develop soon.
- The contraction of the muscles in the front of the thigh is 50%. Such a manifestation is usually the beginning of the development of the disease. This process causes the cartilage to wear out and become very thin. When it is completely cracked, it will lose its ability to work. In this case, prevention will not help and more serious interventions will be required.
Degrees and Symptoms
Medicine differentiates between three clinical stages of osteoarthritis of the knee joint:
- 1 degree.After a heavy load on the joint parts, for example at the end of the working day, discomfort and pain occur. After resting, the pain disappears without intervention. A deviation in the movement is not recognized, there is no deformation.
- 2nd degree.Pathology is usually diagnosed at this stage, noticeable changes appear. Patients experience pain with light exertion, and a relaxed position does not relieve the condition. Many cannot stand it and take pain medication. A stiffness develops in the knee area and the muscles slowly atrophy. In some cases, the initial stage of limb deformation can be seen.
- 3rd degree.Pain syndrome worries around the clock, regardless of the stress on the joint. Pain relievers usually don't work. The mobility disappears almost completely and deformations occur. This stage often ends in disability and treatment is only possible with the help of surgery.
Grade 4 knee osteoarthritis does not occur. However, based on medical practice, the 4th radiological stage is similar to the 3rd clinical stage.
Right and left handed
Osteoarthritis of the right knee joint has symptoms similar to the manifestations mentioned above. The only thing is that all the symptoms are related to the right knee. If you neglect prevention and do not start treatment on time, the patient will be constantly disturbed by persistent osteoarthritis. As a result, a person simply cannot live the way they did before.
Left side osteoarthritis of the knee occurs on the left side of the knee. Symptoms often appear in the morning but go away after a while. The patient usually forgets about morning sickness. The left-sided gonarthrosis becomes clear when standing for a long time. Once the disease began to develop, the restricted movements soon no longer allow people to lead the normal way of life.
Disability with osteoarthritis
Knee osteoarthritis causes immobility. A patient with significant mobility impairments has the right to issue a disability. Usually it is possible to register a group in 3 stages of disease development. Exceptionally, you can achieve a disability in level 2, but you have to consider the important rules for this:
- The group can only be formed with restricted movements. Even with severe pain, hardly anyone becomes a disabled person.
- If the patient can only move with the help of crutches, 2 or 3 groups can be assigned to him, as it is difficult to reach 1.
- The disability committee is held annually as the group may be downgraded if improvements are seen after treatment.
- Put simply, no one is going to write you a disability, so you need to prove it with research like arthroscopy and radiography.
In order to prove incapacity for work, all hospital statements, certificates and medical histories must be kept.
Pregnancy and osteoarthritis of the knee
As a rule, the body weight of the expectant mother increases, which increases the strain on the knee joint. If osteoarthritis of the knee joint develops, the pain only increases. Often both the spine and the hip region can suffer. The main symptoms of osteoarthritis during pregnancy:
- pain that increases over time. It occurs in a dream, deteriorates in the evening and appears after a long pause;
- Background noise. A crunch and creak can be heard when moving;
- The joint can be deformed.
A pregnant woman should carefully monitor her condition. A certain amount of fluid should be consumed, because due to its delay, edema forms, which contributes to an increase in body weight.
In order to prevent the osteoarthritis from progressing further, it is recommended to resort to prevention from time to time:
- Follow proper diet. Do not overeat and control fluid intake;
- gymnastics, supervised by a trainer;
- Correct the daily routine. The required amount of sleep, walks;
- Eliminate potential stress and anxiety.
Interesting to know
Once upon a time, many people loved to “warm” bones in the bathroom, especially the elderly. And they did the right thing, because under the influence of the hot atmosphere and light beating with a broom not only improves blood circulation, but also the mobility and elasticity of the joints. In this case, the vessels begin to expand, which is why the flow of blood occurs in large quantities.
Thanks to careful blood circulation, joints and ligaments are filled with oxygen and nutrients, which promotes healing and rapid absorption of salt deposits.
A visit to a bathroom has a positive effect on the human body. Periarticular edema decreases, the normal function of the joint is regenerated. Warming up is also very useful for bruises, sprains and dislocations.
A systematic visit to the bathroom helps to:
- Rapid healing of joints and various injuries;
- Rapid disappearance of the painful syndrome and joint stiffness after intense exertion;
- recovery processes.
But still, the clear answer, it is possible to heat the joints or not, the doctor will give you. Depending on the case and the individuality of the organism, the bath can have a negative effect on the organism.
Treatment according to the author's method
The treatment method of a famous doctor is based on drug treatment and the application of mechanical effects on the joint:
- therapeutic gymnastics;
- manual therapy;
- movement therapy;
The practicing rheumatologist is of the opinion that it is necessary to create an individual treatment program for each patient. Such programs usually help:
- Improves blood circulation in the area of the affected joint;
- normalize cartilage nutrition;
- get rid of pain;
- Strengthen the periarticular muscles;
- Reduce the stress on the joint.
Knee osteoarthritis of the knee can be treated with drugs that use nonsteroidal drugs with anti-inflammatory effects.
In addition, compresses with medication or medical bile can be used. According to the expert, they have a greater effect than various creams and ointments.
According to a rheumatologist, manual therapy is an excellent treatment option. The joint appointment of a chondroprotector, intra-articular injections and stretching of the joints have a long-term result.
Effective exercises for prevention and treatment
The diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the knee should not force the patient to give up. Do the following exercises to get relief in the knee area.
- "bicycle". Lie on your back, lift your legs and imitate cycling with your legs. Run for 1 minute.
- "scissors". Starting position on the back. Raised legs are crossed and spread apart. Imitation of a pair of scissors. 15 times.
- Lie on your back and alternately pull your legs towards your body while you gently bend at the knee. If it works without any problems, then you can lift the limbs off the floor. 10 repetitions for each leg.
- Lie on your side and bend your leg, which is on the floor, at the knee. The other is brought to the stomach and then back. Turn around and do the same with the other leg. Repeat 10 times on each leg.
Exercise, use prophylaxis, treat the disease in a timely manner and get tested to rule out the disease.