How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home: exercise therapy, self-massage and traditional medicine
Treating cervical osteochondrosis at home is of interest to many people. According to statistics, the pathological process in the cervical spine ranks second in terms of distribution after lesions of the lumbosacral region.
The danger of the disease lies in the defeat of various elements: intervertebral discs, cervical vertebrae, nerve endings in the spinal cord. With cervical osteochondrosis, patients often have headaches. The reason is the poor supply of oxygen and nutrients to the brain due to problems with the spinal artery. Recommendations from doctors for anyone who wants to cure cervical osteochondrosis.
Reasons for the development of pathology
The cervical spine is constantly under stress, negative factors trigger muscle spasms, the blood supply is disturbed, degenerative changes in the vertebrae and cartilage develop. Gradually, the condition of the intervertebral discs of the cervix deteriorates, their structure is disrupted, and damage to small joints between adjacent vertebrae is noted.
Under excessive load, the bony bodies of the vertebrae grow. The elasticity of the spine gradually decreases, pain appears, limitation of mobility, problems with the mobility of the shoulder girdle.
Osteochondrosis in the neck area is caused by the following factors:
- high level of physical activity;
- lack of exercise;
- "sedentary" character of professional activity (office worker, driver);
- hereditary predisposition;
- scoliosis, bad posture;
- frequent tension in the back and neck muscles;
- congenital pathologies of the cervical spine;
- weak back and neck muscles;
- frequent stress;
- spinal injuries;
- endocrine pathologies;
- extra pounds.
Signs and Symptoms
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine develops over a long period of time. If the patient pays attention to the signals from the body, he can suspect that something is wrong and consult a doctor in good time.
The main symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis:
- frequent headaches;
- dizziness, nausea;
- blood pressure problems;
- rate fluctuations;
- irritation, insomnia, lacrimation;
- impaired mobility of the shoulder girdle, a feeling of numbness in the upper limbs and shoulders;
- "Flies" appear in front of the eyes, a sudden attack of weakness is often felt;
- pain in the neck. During seizures, pain often radiates to the jaw and teeth.
If you notice signs of osteochondrosis, contact your vertebrate or neurologist. The doctor will prescribe an in-depth examination to find out the cause of the pain.
Treatment at home
How do you treat cervical osteochondrosis? For a successful therapy, the doctor offers a technique that combines physiotherapy, acupuncture, medication, exercise therapy and massage. An obligatory component is home treatment: folk methods, an iplicator, self-massage, exercise therapy complex, relaxation, local application of pharmacy gels and ointments.
The patient will achieve good results by strictly following the instructions and carefully following the advice of the doctor. Self-massage saves finances, the use of herbal cookings and tinctures instead of some drugs reduces the negative effect of drugs on various organs.
Home treatment (like hospital therapy) has specific goals:
- relieves the patient of the pain syndrome;
- improves the blood supply to the brain;
- normalizes sleep;
- Eliminate fear and irritability;
- Stop the numbness of the shoulder girdle area.
- improves the innervation of the cervical spine and adjacent areas.
Complex exercise therapy
Therapeutic gymnastics is a mandatory element of therapy for osteochondrosis. The exercises will be demonstrated by a doctor in a hospital or rehabilitation center. After two or three sessions, after a full examination of the complex, the patient can easily cope with the task at home.
Gymnastics and exercises for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis:
- head rotation clockwise and counterclockwise;
- tilting the head low in an attempt to reach the chin;
- head leans to one side;
- throws back his head;
- Circular movements of the upper limbs.
Important!The exercises are performed at a slow pace, the amplitude increases gradually. You cannot jerk sharply: you may feel dizzy, dark spots appear in front of your eyes. The involvement of the shoulder girdle is essential: during the exercises, the muscles of the arms work, the cervical spine relaxes.
- gentle pressure on the neck area prevents salt deposition, improves blood circulation; The
- massage accelerates the supply of nutrients and oxygen to the tissue.
- painful sensations decrease;
- During the procedure, the muscles of the neck and shoulder girdle are relaxed.
- Metabolic processes in the tissue of the cervical spine return to normal;
- The blood pressure is often lowered to an optimal level.
A masseur will come to your home and do a session, but the procedure is quite expensive, a long massage for osteochondrosis is not cheap. Patients can massage themselves without financial costs for the same benefit.
The task is to study massage techniques, identify active points that need to be massaged and learn about areas that should not be affected. Self-massage techniques are simple, you need to act carefully, without making sudden movements.
- Direction of movement - from the spine to the periphery; The
- massage is performed only with the fingers without additional devices.
- strong pressure is excluded: only soft, sensitive impact;
- Movements are smooth: rush, sharp pressure is not acceptable.
- muscles of the side and neck;
- back of the head.
- Self-massage is performed in a sitting position;
- Put one leg on the other's knee, place your elbow so that it easily reaches the neck and spine.
- reach the back of the head, the back and the sides of the neck with the fingers of the opposite hand;
- caress, then rub, then knead the muscles, finish the process with caressing;
- Session duration - up to eight to ten minutes.
Ointments, gels, tablets, injections and a medicated plaster help relieve pain in the problem area, reduce inflammation and normalize the condition of the cartilage tissue. Proper use of medication complements other home treatments.
- Anesthetic plaster reduces swelling of the plexus cervical zone, reduces pain;
- topical formulations, gels and ointments for cervical osteochondrosis;
- muscle relaxants. The drugs of this group relieve muscle spasms, reduce painful sensations;
- chondroprotectors. The drugs stop the destruction of the cartilage, normalize blood flow in the problem area and accelerate the regeneration of damaged cartilage tissue. The drugs have a positive effect after a course of 3 to 6 months;
- vitamins. The doctor prescribes vitamin and mineral complexes to improve the general condition and compensate for the lack of nutrients. Particular attention is paid to B vitamins (injections plus tablets). Preparations with valuable components improve the condition of the nerve tissue.
Affordable, effective acupuncture device for the home. The needles dig into the affected area, increasing blood flow and affecting biologically active areas. The patient attaches the needle massager to a belt with fasteners or a neck roll. The duration of exposure to the problem area is determined by the attending physician.
Important!Before using the ipplicator, you should consult a vertebrologist and neurologist. It is important to consider contraindications (if any).
Folk remedies and recipes
For cervical osteochondrosis, treatment is carried out in all available ways. Traditional medicine recipes have earned many positive reviews.
The use of home formulations is beneficial when the patient selects effective formulations taking into account the limitations and characteristics of the body. It is difficult to independently diagnose and find the ideal remedy: the help of a neuropathologist and a vertebrologist is needed.
- Honey and potato compress.Rub a large tuber, combine it with an equal amount of bee product, apply to the neck area and cover with a soft cloth. Apply the compress twice a week. The duration of the procedure is 45 minutes;
- Paraffin applications.Good pain reliever. Melt wax or paraffin, allow to cool to an acceptable temperature and apply to the affected area. Do not warm the area above the spine. Apply twice a week;
- turpentine plus dough.Use rye flour and water to make a cake that is not very tight. Before the procedure, rub the sore spot with turpentine, fix the dough, fix it with cellophane and a warm scarf. Keep it until you feel a slight burning sensation at the treatment site, but no longer than a quarter of an hour. Warm up every other day;
- Collection for cervical osteochondrosis.You will need a tablespoon of dandelion leaves, thyme, chamomile flowers, St. John's wort, yarrow and marigold. Take 2 tbsp. l. Mixture, put in a thermos, pour a liter of boiling water. Take this broth in a quarter glass daily before breakfast, lunch and dinner. The duration of treatment is 3 weeks.
The area of the spine should not be treated with irritating compounds. It is forbidden to use unverified recipes exposed to cold / heat. The proximity of the cervical spine to the brain requires careful use of formulations, including those made from natural ingredients.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine responds well to treatment in the early stages, in severe cases an operation is performed. Minimize the effects of negative factors, dose the load, avoid long periods of sitting, and warm your back and neck. If you find problems with the vertebrae in the cervical spine, combine a visit to the rehabilitation center with home treatment. Perform therapy under the guidance of a vertebrate and neuropathologist.