Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis at home
Grinding and pain when turning the neck, decreased mobility, headache - all these are signs of cervical osteochondrosis. Relieving symptoms with analgesics does not solve the main problem, so an integrated approach must be used. Home treatment combines folk remedies, massages, exercise and other measures.
Traditional treatment for cervical osteochondrosis involves the use of the following drugs:
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs;
- warming ointments;
- pain reliever gels;
- Vasodilator drugs.
This therapy is usually aimed at relieving symptoms.
Osteochondrosis is considered incurable and physical activity is the only measure that will contribute to permanent remission. The main condition for achieving a result is regularity and consistency.
Therapeutic exercises help prevent and stop the development of osteochondrosis. Exercise accelerates blood flow to the cervical spine, which contributes to better nutrition of all tissues.
Important!It is not recommended to start an exercise complex with severe pain.
Effective exercise therapy complex:
- Starting position: sit in a chair with your back and neck straight. Slowly rotate your head towards your left and right shoulders (five to ten times).
- The starting position is the same. Gently lower your head down until it touches your chest and back (ten times). It is not possible to tilt the back of the head back as it is harmful to the neck.
- The initial posture is the same, make even circular movements of the head to the left and right (three to five times).
- The starting position is the same, the neck is moved back together with the chin parallel to the floor line (ten times). The neck should not bend. Such movements are particularly useful for people working at a table in a posture with their head and neck tilted forward.
- Starting position: Sitting at the table, one arm rests with one elbow on the table. Rest your temple on the palm of your hand and press your head on it, resisting with your hand (five to ten sets of ten seconds, pause of ten seconds).
- Starting position: sit at a table with your back and neck straight. Press your forehead against the palm of your hand and apply counter resistance with your hand (five to ten sets of ten seconds, a pause of ten seconds)Exercise develops the habit of sitting properly at the table.
- Starting position: standing, back straight, arms along the body. Raise your shoulders and hold them for ten seconds, then gently lower them down (ten approaches). This perfectly relaxes the neck muscles while they are being stretched.
- Starting position: lie on your stomach, arms along your body. Slowly raise and lower your head and rest twenty seconds (ten times).
You should not make sudden movements in the cervical spine during the class. Unpleasant sensations and overload should also not be allowed. The given complex of physical therapy exercises for osteochondrosis should be carried out daily.
A plastic water bottle can serve as excellent equipment for cervical exercises for osteochondrosis.
You need to choose a cylindrical eggplant of 1. 5 liters without protrusions and ribs. To keep it soft, it is filled with 80% water.
Lie on your back, put your hands on your body and place the bottle under your neck. Do the following exercises:
- Head movements forwards / backwards (5 times);
- leisurely head turns left / right (5 times);
- Describe circles upside down to the right and left (5 times).
Neck training with a bottle can be alternated with other types of gymnastics.
Massage is the main method of home treatment for osteochondrosis. It relieves cramps, increases blood flow and lymphatic drainage, and reduces inflammation. Regular use restores the mobility of the neck.
With osteochondrosis of the neck, self-massage has proven itself as it is the most comfortable area for massage.
Important!You should never put pressure on the spine itself.
Self-massage techniques for osteochondrosis of the neck:
- Sit in a chair or lie on the floor, massage the muscles of the neck and the back of the head with the bundles of fingers. Then work out the area above and between the shoulder blades. For headaches, a gentle massage of the temple area above the ear and up to the back of the head helps.
- Sit at the table with the elbow of your left hand resting on the table and the index finger of the other hand feeling the muscles on the right side of the neck. Painful areas must be kneaded well in circular movements. Repeat on the back, then massage the cervical tubercle.
- Go with the edge of your palm along your neck from the bottom up and then down to your shoulders. Change your hand.
- Squeeze the muscles of the neck and collar area.
Start and finish the process with a gentle stroke of your neck and shoulders.
Roll rolling pin
Previously, a conventional rolling pin was used to treat neck pain. You need to lie down on it and roll it under you. However, this method is not acceptable for exacerbations of osteochondrosis.
Massage with honey
Heat a little honey in a water bath (no more than 40 ° C) and apply it to the neck and collar area. Then you need to "glue" the palm of your hand on the body and tear it off. The massage is carried out until there are signs of reddening of the skin (no more than 10 minutes). After that, it is necessary to wash off the remnants of honey and dirt and wrap the neck.
Repeat the process twice a week. Such a massage is contraindicated for hypertensive patients.
The arsenal of folk remedies for the treatment of osteochondrosis includes compresses, rubs, ointments, herbal cookings and tinctures. They're inexpensive, effective, and have fewer side effects.
Before using the above recipes, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Compresses warm up, relieve tension in the neck and shoulder muscles and significantly alleviate pain in osteochondrosis.
Idea!Instead of cellophane, burdock or cabbage leaves are suitable for tightness.
Variations of compresses for the treatment of osteochondrosis:
- Grate raw potatoes and combine in equal parts with liquid honey. Apply on the neck, cover with plastic and wrap. Keep for 1-2 hours.
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped burdock leaves steamed with 1 cup of boiling water. When the broth has cooled to an acceptable hot temperature, strain and moisten a gauze (natural tissue) folded in it in several layers. Hold the compress for 20 minutes, then remove your neck and wrap it in a scarf.
- 1 tablespoon of a mixture of chopped herbs (dandelion, burdock leaves and St. John's wort) pour 1 cup of boiling water and put in a water bath for 15 minutes. When the broth has cooled to around 60 ° C, strain and apply a compress. Keep for about half an hour.
- Attach a piece of cloth soaked in kerosene to your neck, cover it with cellophane and insulate it with a layer of cotton wool. The exposure time is one hour.
- Bake a cake of oatmeal, rye, or whole wheat flour and, in a comfortably hot condition, place it on a painful area, cover and keep cool. This manipulation can be done once or twice a day.
- Alcohol compress: Combine fifty grams of aloe juice with four tablespoons of honey and one hundred milliliters of vodka (alcohol). The mixture is ready to use after 30 minutes. Apply the composition to a damp cloth and apply it to the neck overnight. The specified amount is sufficient for the entire course of treatment.
Compresses work especially well when the osteochondrosis worsens.
Rubbing is convenient in that you don't have to sit for a long time with cellophane and a neck wrapped around it. Rubbing increases blood flow and the alcohol in the formulation allows the ingredients to penetrate the skin faster.
Rubbing for sickness:
- Pour a glass of grated radish, half a glass of honey, two tablespoons of salt (coarse), 250 milliliters of vodka. With this tincture, you need to rub the affected area twice a day for a week. This remedy can be taken orally twice a day with a teaspoon on an empty stomach.
- Combine in equal proportions ground mustard, vodka, camphor alcohol and proteins from three eggs. Rub this composition overnight. It helps well with chronic osteochondrosis.
- Mix each 300 ml of alcohol, 10 ml of iodine and camphor alcohol. This recipe is used to provide pain relief.
- Combine the berries of the red elderberry with alcohol (1: 4) and let drain for a week. The composition is also suitable for compresses, but for this purpose it must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 4.
Important!After rubbing, wrap the heated neck area with a warm, soft scarf (made of fleece).
Alcohol compositions should not be used on external skin lesions.
Ointments made from natural ingredients are inexpensive and easy to use. Due to the viscous consistency, the composition stays on the skin longer.
Ointments for treatment:
- Mix in equal parts softened butter, ground ginger root and a clove of garlic. This composition relieves pain in the back of the head and shoulders.
- Dissolve 10 grams of mummy in 1 tbsp. Spoons of warm water and mix with liquid honey. For ease of use, the ointment should be swallowed with a teaspoon heated over a fire. Painful areas are lubricated and massaged for about 5 minutes, then the application is repeated and rubbed for another 1-2 minutes. After the procedure, cover the neck with a layer of cotton wool, polyethylene and a warm scarf.
- 1 tablespoon. Combine a spoonful of chopped hop cones in equal proportions with soft butter. Rub into the skin 1-2 times a day.
- 2-3 st. Tablespoons of chopped oregano (oregano) pour 500 ml of lean or olive oil, soak in a dark place for about 10 hours, squeeze and rub the sore spots.
By applying the ointment, you can gently massage the neck area.
External methods of treatment can be supplemented with the use of useful infusions and decoctions inside. Many of them have general tonic properties, are rich in vitamins and have an effect on the entire body.
Medicinal compositions for oral administration in osteochondrosis:
- Pour 2 teaspoons of chopped parsley roots with 2 cups of boiling water and simmer over low heat for about an hour, drain. Take 1 tbsp. Spoon morning and evening before meals.
- Chop the dill and parsley seeds and let stand in a water bath for 15-20 minutes. Take the resulting broth 1 teaspoon in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Sprinkle fresh pine buds (up to 2 cm) in a 2: 1 ratio with sugar (or honey). Place the container in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks until a dark syrup forms. It is taken 1 tablespoon 3 times a day.
- Roll 3 lemons in a meat grinder, put 4 cloves of garlic (whole) in it, pour 1. 5 liters of hot water (60 ° C) and let it rest for a day. Take 100 grams of infusion on an empty stomach.
- Chop the pine nuts with their shells, add vodka and transfer to a dark place. After 7 days, strain the tincture and take 1 tablespoon per day.
The use of decoctions and tinctures accelerates the process of getting out of the acute stage of osteochondrosis. Pine syrup is particularly recommended during this time. It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
The traditional treatment can be supplemented with water treatments, warming up, a visit to the sauna or bath.
Cold and hot shower
A contrast shower helps to significantly improve the condition of osteochondrosis by alternately pouring cold and warm water on the neck area.
If there is pain, you can take a bath with decoctions of calamus root, birch buds, chamomile and feverfew. A strong broth is poured into warm water, the session time is about 20 minutes. This procedure quickly relieves pain and cramps during osteochondrosis exacerbation.
You shouldn't take hot baths for hypertensive patients and those with cardiovascular problems.
Sauna and bath
Bath and sauna must be included in the complex of treatment for osteochondrosis. In the steam bath, the muscles relax and the clamps in the intervertebral discs disappear. Before the session, you can lubricate the muscles of the neck with honey and wrap it with a towel. It is also good to apply heated stones to this area.
You can visit the bathhouse or sauna 1-2 times a week, but outside of the acute stage. Otherwise, the "steam bath" will only intensify the inflammatory process.
Heat relieves pain very well, so the treatment of osteochondrosis is complemented by warming up. Mustard plasters, alcohol (vodka), pepper plasters or pharmacy ointments are suitable for home use. You can use cloth bags of hot salt or sand that are applied to the neck.
The applicator is a special spike massager used to treat osteochondrosis. It helps to improve metabolic processes in a certain area, reduce pain and inflammation. The applicator is placed under the neck and rests on it, which stimulates new reflex zones.
The duration of the sessions starts from 1-2 minutes and gradually increases to half an hour. The duration of treatment is 2 weeks. After a break of 7 days, the course can be repeated. You can not use such a massager with skin diseases of the neck area and a tendency to bleed.
Various modifications of applicators for reflexology of cervical osteochondrosis are for sale.
Treatment with leeches
Hirudotherapy has proven itself as a technique for treating various types of osteochondrosis. The hirudin secreted by leeches thins the blood, relieves swelling and inflammation, and normalizes the function of nerve cells. Hirudotherapy procedures relieve pain, reflexively relax the neck muscles, and promote better penetration of drugs to their destinations.
Leeches are placed on the most painful places on the neck and shoulders. The number of sessions for osteochondrosis is about 7 with breaks for several days. A second course will be held in a month.
An integrated approach to treating osteochondrosis at home will allow you to achieve stable remission and restore neck mobility. Traditional and alternative medicine is not a substitute for medication prescribed by your doctor. In the advanced stages of the disease, you should not self-medicate. If signs of deterioration occur, particularly numbness in the limbs, dizziness or other serious symptoms, you should seek medical advice immediately.