How to treat osteoarthritis of the hip joint
If you have degenerative changes in the cartilage tissue, the mobility of the joint gradually decreases and the discomfort increases. To eliminate the pathological process, the patient is prescribed complex treatment of the hip joint.
The reasons for the development of the disease
A pathology that is characterized by the gradual destruction of the cartilage in the hip joint is called coxarthrosis. With this disease, the gap between the joints narrows and the bones begin to touch. You will be tormented by severe pain in the thigh area.
The slowdown in metabolic processes in bones and cartilage is a common problem in older men and women. When asked how to treat osteoarthritis of the hip joint, people over 60 are the most likely to turn to the doctor. However, a decrease in joint function is often noted in young people.
The following circumstances can cause the disease to break out:
- Lack of physical activity;
- congenital disorders in the structure of the joint;
- Excessive exercise, weightlifting: those whose lives are linked to hard sports are at risk of premature "wear and tear" of the articular cartilage;
- Injuries and fractures;
- Metabolic disease;
- Long-term use of hormonal drugs;
- Infectious diseases;
Few people know that scoliosis can be the cause of negative changes in articular cartilage. Such a "harmless" pathology as flat feet creates the prerequisites for the occurrence of overloading of the joint.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis of the hip joint
What symptoms can indicate an existing coxarthrosis (deforming arthrosis):
- Hip pain;
- Pain in the groin and knees;
- Crunching and clicking: Unpleasant noises disturb you while driving;
- Stiffness in the painful joint that occurs every time after a long period of immobility (e. g. after sleep) - it usually takes 20 to 40 minutes for the joint to start moving again;
In the later stages of the development of the disease, a person develops an obvious symptom of joint failure: the length of the diseased leg decreases.
Elimination of degenerative changes in the joint
When deciding on the treatment of coxarthrosis, the orthopedic surgeon relies on the following information:
- Your age;
- the intensity of the pain;
- the nature of changes in the structure of the joint;
- if you have other diseases (diabetes, asthma).
The more serious the damage to the joint, the more time and effort it will take to restore its "performance". There are 3 stages of pathology in total.
If the articular cartilage has undergone minor degenerative changes, pain reliever ointments and exercises can help. To eliminate advanced osteoarthritis (coxarthrosis), treatment should include at least three recovery strategies: intra-articular injections, massages, and magnetotherapy are prescribed for the elderly.
First degree: how it all begins
The first degree of the disease is manifested as follows:
- The hip hurts in the morning: the feeling of stiffness in the joint disappears every time after warming up.
- Mild pain sensations occur after running and lifting weights.
- Meteosensitivity occurs in the problem joint;
- X-rays can show thinning of the cartilage covering the head of the femur.
Second degree: Increased discomfort
Signs of the second stage of joint pathology:
- severe pain in the thigh;
- Discomfort in the knee;
- Pain can occur not only during the charging process, but also at rest.
- the mobility of the joints is severely restricted;
- A crunch can often be heard;
- It is difficult for the patient to move the leg sideways.
Computed tomography shows the following manifestations of the disease:
- the joint space is reduced by 30% compared to the normal width;
- the cartilage is severely thinned;
- there is bone growth on the articular surfaces;
- the head of the femur is displaced upwards;
- An inflammatory process develops in the nearby soft tissues.
3 degree deforming osteoarthritis
If a person does not see a doctor for a long time, the disease continues to progress. What's wrong with you:
- excruciating pains haunt day and night;
- the joint is almost immobile;
- The patient is severely lame because he has a crooked pelvis: from the side of the problem joint, the leg becomes shorter than the healthy one;
- on the affected side, the buttocks and thigh muscles atrophied.
Some patients cannot walk without a stick. Polls show you the following changes:
- Thickening of the femoral neck;
- Growths on the surfaces of the joint;
- deformed head of the femur;
- The joint space is almost missing.
Against the background of severe pain and decreased physical activity, people suffer from insomnia, a feeling of depression. It is difficult to give a clear answer to the question of whether osteoarthritis of the hip joint will be treated in later stages. One thing can be said: with the help of conservative methods of therapy, it will not be possible to completely remove the manifestations of pathology. Surgical way to correct the defect is the only way to complete healing.
Joint problems are treated by orthopedic surgeons and surgeons. After examining you and listening to your complaints, the specialist will understand what disease is preventing you from living. To decide how to treat hip osteoarthritis, your doctor will send you for tests. Diagnostic measures the patient may need:
- X-ray: In the picture, the doctor sees the affected joint in detail. He can understand how severe the narrowing of the joint space is and whether there are any growths on the joint surfaces.
- Ultrasound diagnostics: with the help of ultrasound, dystrophic changes in the ligaments of the joint can be detected;
- CT scan;
- Magnetic resonance imaging: the examination method allows you to examine the structure of the joint down to the smallest detail.
Treatment options for hip osteoarthritis
After the diagnosis, the doctor will understand whether it is possible to get rid of the disease with anti-inflammatory ointments and massages, or whether you need a more radical effect on the painful joint. There are 8 treatment options for the hip joint.
- Physical therapy. The aim is to strengthen muscles and ligaments.
- Manual therapy. Massage helps increase blood circulation in problem areas, it eliminates muscle spasms.
- Medical treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip joint. To prevent the destruction of cartilage, patients are prescribed chondroprotectors in tablets. You will be prescribed an ointment or cream to relieve swelling and pain in the problem area.
- Physiotherapy methods. They are unlikely to help get rid of coxarthrosis completely. Ozone and laser treatments are used as a supplement to pills and injections.
- Sanatorium treatment of coxarthrosis. In the sanatoriums, you will take part in hydromassage sessions and use healing mud.
- Stretching the joint with a special device.
- Surgical intervention. If you have a badly deformed head of the femur, surgery will help solve the problem. Some patients need an endoprosthesis (replacement of a joint with a prosthesis). An osteotomy is used to take pressure off the joint. During the procedure, the femur is broken and then fused at a different angle.
Give up the idea of prescribing self-prescribing drugs or pain relief procedures. Let the doctor do it.
More about medication
7 types of drugs are used for osteoarthritis of the hip joint.
- Anti-inflammatory drugsthat do not contain steroid components. They have a temporary effect. The main task of drugs in this group is to relieve pain and reduce the inflammatory process in the joint.
- Ointments and gels. . . In the treatment of 1st degree coxarthrosis, ointments with anesthetic and decongestant effects have a positive function. The ointment therapy lasts 2 weeks. Next, you need to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further treatment.
- Steroids. . . They are usually given by injection. Therapy plan: The patient receives one injection per week. Course of treatment: 5-6 procedures. With the help of intra-articular injections, you can get rid of pain and inflammation.
- Chondroprotectors in capsules. . . In order to allow coxarthrosis to be treated without surgery, it is necessary to restore the functions of the joint to stop the process of cartilage destruction. Cartilage nourishing medications will cope with this task. Drugs that restore cartilage tissue come in three forms: capsules, injections, and sachets. It is necessary to take medication with meals three times a day. The treatment lasts 60 days. Then a break is taken (2 months). After this break, the course of treatment must be repeated.
- Chondroprotectors for injections. . . The first dose of the drug is 0. 25 ml. Then the drug is injected in 1 ml. No more than 3 injections are given per week. Six injections are enough to make you feel better. The duration of treatment is 6 weeks. Some drugs are injected directly into the joint. The daily dose of the drug is 1-2 ml. You will receive 1 shot every 3 days. The course of treatment is 5 injections.
- Muscle relaxants.Treatment of coxarthrosis (osteoarthritis of the hip joint) will not be effective without the elimination of muscle spasms. Muscle relaxants remove muscle spasms and activate blood flow to the ligaments and cartilage tissue. The duration of the course depends on the intensity of the spasm in the muscle tissue.
- Hyaluronic acid injectionsare prescribed in addition to pills for arthritis of the hip joint. This substance is the main component of intra-articular fluid. Hyaluronic acid injections make the fluid in the joint thicker and more viscous. As a result, the inflammatory process proceeds, and the cartilage is restored. For this conservative therapy, you will need 4-5 injections. The interval between injections is 5 days.
Massage against coxarthrosis
If the examinations have shown that you have coxarthrosis, the treatment should be supplemented by massage procedures.
The healing effect of manual therapy consists in passive work with problematic ligaments, spasmodic muscles and joints. Rubbing, stroking, and squeezing with a chiropractor will increase blood flow to the cartilage.
If after the massage the pain in the hip increases, it is worth stopping the procedures for a while.
There are 3 options for physiotherapeutic treatment of deforming osteoarthritis of the hip joint.
- Ozone therapy.Exposure to the ozone-oxygen mixture promotes the growth of cartilage tissue.
- Electrophoresis.This method of treating 2nd degree coxarthrosis combined the action of the drug on the affected area and the action of a low-strength direct current. Under the influence of a special device, the anti-inflammatory drug (gel) penetrates through the skin into the joint. To reduce the manifestations of the disease, you will need 20-30 procedures.
- Shock wave therapy.The principle of treatment: under the influence of sound waves, blood flow to the ligaments and muscles is increased.
Gymnastics and special exercises
If a person is weakened by osteoarthritis of the hip joint, then treatment should include competent loading. With the help of gymnastics, motor activity in the joint is improved, metabolic processes in cartilage and muscle tissue are improved.
Examples of exercises:
- Lie on a flat surface, bend your knees, put your feet on the floor, and try to lift your pelvis as high as possible.
- Assume a lying position, lift your right leg to a right angle and bend it. Then do similar movements with your left leg. All manipulations should be repeated at least 10 times.
- Lie on your stomach: take your right leg back and hold it for 10 to 30 seconds (as long as you can), lower the limb and repeat the same movements with your left leg.
Effective treatment for coxarthrosis largely depends on your persistence and willingness to give up old habits that are harmful to health. During recovery procedures, protect yourself from drafts and wear comfortable shoes. If you have severe thigh pain while performing the manipulations, take a break and return to charging in 10-30 minutes.
Traditional methods of treating osteoarthritis of the hip joint
Do not think that modern treatment for coxarthrosis excludes the use of folk tricks. In the early stages of the disease, you can use the "grandmother's" recipes.
- Cabbage leaf compress.You need to take a cabbage leaf and grease it with a little honey (1 tsp is enough). Apply this compress on your thigh. Tie the sheet over it with a plastic bag. In this form, you need to sit or lie down for at least 2 hours.
- Homemade perestroika cream.Buy 200 g of white perestroot in the market or pharmacy. Grind the rhizomes with a meat grinder. Mix vegetable raw materials with 400 g of pork fat. Cook this "porridge" for 7 minutes over low heat. The cream is rubbed into the skin of the thigh before going to bed. The duration of the course should be 15-20 days.
- Tincture of lilac.To reduce osteoarthritis of the hip joint, an alternative treatment offers a different route: a tincture of purple flowers. In the spring you need to collect 50 g of plant material. Pour 400 ml of vodka over the fragrant flowers. Put the jar with the contents in a cool place. The tincture is ready to use after 10 days. Strain the tincture through a cheesecloth. You need to drink it 20 minutes before meals. For 1 reception it is not recommended to use more than 50 drops of the drug.
Biological and mechanical therapy
If you have hip osteoarthritis, leech therapy (hirudotherapy) will relieve swelling and sharp pain in the thigh area. This biological option for getting rid of joint disease is suitable for people of all ages. The principle of hirudotherapy:
- The leech sucks on the body and injects special enzymes into the human blood.
- under the influence of active substances, tissue elasticity increases;
- the inflammatory process in the joint is eliminated;
- The pain goes away.
During one session, the doctor uses 3-5 leeches. After the third procedure, your well-being may deteriorate for a short time. Relief occurs after 5-6 hirudotherapy sessions. In total, you will need 5-8 procedures. The interval between sessions can vary between 2 and 5 days. To achieve a significant increase in the motor activity of the joint without surgery, use mechanical influence methods. The main method is to stretch the joint.
The traction (traction of the affected joint) is carried out with a special device. The traction procedure can also be performed by a chiropractor.
Elimination of coxarthrosis according to the author's method
If you are wondering how to cure hip joint coxarthrosis, a famous doctor's exercises will be a pleasant find for you. The main principles of gymnastics:
- gradual increase in load;
- Lack of sudden movements;
- Constant dosage on the joint: Exercise daily to feel relief.
With a coxarthrosis of 2. 3 degrees, treatment should be carried out with exercise under the supervision of a trainer or doctor. Let's consider examples of exercises in more detail:
- To sit on the ground. The legs need to be brought together. Bend forward. Hold your feet with your hands and hold them down for 30-40 seconds. Bend for at least 5 minutes.
- Lie on your back on a gymnastics bench. Ask your assistant to put a 1 pound weight on your leg. Bend the weighted leg at the knee as much as possible. Wrap your arms around her and try to get your knee to touch your chest. Hold this for half a minute. Repeat all the manipulations, attaching the weight to the other leg.
Features of the patient's diet
No single technique will bring the desired cure for joint disease if a person is not following a diet. Anyone who has joint pain should stay away from fatty sour cream, lard and canned food. You need to give up salt and spices. Pastries and sweets should be consumed in small quantities. It is advisable to forget about alcoholic beverages.
Products you benefit from:
- Chicken, beef, turkey;
- Beans and peas;
- low-fat cottage cheese;
- dried apricots, raisins;
- Sea fish and shrimp.
An ancient way to strengthen your joints is through regular use of jellied meat. An example of a daily menu:
- For breakfast, eat a plate of buckwheat porridge and 150-250 g of mackerel, baked in the oven - the meal can be supplemented with vegetables;
- For lunch, cook a vegetable stew with red beans and jellied chicken thighs.
- As daily "snacks", you can use 30 g of dried apricots or 100 g of low-fat cottage cheese.
- For dinner, eat a vegetable salad and 70-80 g of boiled chicken.
Prevention of coxarthrosis
Follow simple preventive measures so that you don't have to worry about how to treat the hip joint:
- moderate and regular physical activity;
- Refusal to carry weights;
- balanced nutrition.
An important requirement for the well-being of the human joints is the absence of obesity.
There are many treatment options for joint coxarthrosis. Tablets and ointments help stop inflammation. Shock wave therapy and exercise therapy are used to improve the blood supply to the cartilage. Therapeutic methods that are not always conservative can stop the development of the disease (coxarthrosis of the hip joint). In the most difficult cases, surgical treatment is prescribed.